Saturday, 19 October 2013

Exploratory Stage Reflection!

Over the past six weeks on the 'Art, Design and Media Foundation Diploma' at Ravensbourne I have gone through multiple stages of the rotations. It started out with research week, then IT, academic writing week with the fabulous Tracy, which was then followed by the 3DD, Graphics, Lens Based Media and Fashion and Textiles rotations. I feel like it was only yesterday when I came in for our induction talk to the course. I have loved each aspect of this course, as it has really made me grow as a person and as a designer/artist. My abilities and skills have rapidly developed. I really believe that this was a good way to start out because it has given me a taste of all the different aspects within the Art, Design and Media Foundation Diploma. I have thoroughly enjoyed working through the different rotations, even though I was faced with many challenges. One example would have to be -getting in the habit of working in my sketchbook every single day to keep it up to date. I am now in the habit and enjoy working in it very much, since I can now focus on ideas I actually enjoy developing and coming up with in order to create a final outcome! This was a real advantage to me, as I was restricted in my sixth form.

Though all six weeks were incredible, my most favourite week had to be the 3DD rotation. I enjoyed every task and challenge I was faced with! Geoff's tutorials were highly detailed but got straight to the point. He was a great tutor for the 3DD rotation. 3DD works with 'Architecture', 'Interior Design', but also 'Product Design'. I must admit that the Fashion pathway was my second most favourite rotation. Though, I find it fascinating how both 3DD-Architecture and Fashion all compliment each other so well! This is great as I can incorporate my interest in Architecture and Fashion together!

Over the period of these six superb weeks, I have learnt a lot about the different aspects of each rotation. I would like to use my sketchbook a lot more over the duration of the 3DD pathway. I must admit that I have not saved all my ideas or sketches in my sketchbook, which is a shame as it does not clearly illustrate my progression or thought process throughout each rotation. I have made it a goal of mine to always have my sketchbook around with me at all times -or just carry a mini journal where I can sketch any design ideas that 'pop' up in my head! I am a visual person and a highly detailed perfectionist, if something does not meet my standards or 'click' for me I have to find a way to resolve the problem and make it better. Additionally, it has been made evident that I am a 'reflector', meaning I am a thoughtful and comprehensive person.

I enjoy working digitally on computers with different soft wares, but I am a more physical designer. I love drawing, sketching, painting etc. I feel like you can develop and take your ideas further by hand in a sketchbook, rather than using softwares which complete most of the basic work for you! I do struggle to demonstrate my thought process with 'messy' work, however, I am working on loosening up and making mistakes which can then be illustrated in my sketchbook.

Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed everyday of these six weeks of rotations. I am glad I now have a taste of what the rest of the pathways will include, as I believe it will influence my future work. In saying so, I can now relate back to an idea or design either myself or a classmate have come up with over the six rotational weeks! I am now anticipating on working on the projects in the 3DD pathway.




No comments:

Post a Comment