Friday, 18 October 2013

Graphic Design - Day 2

Graphics Day 2

Today we focused on the importance of typography, and the work of graphic designs.

Apologies for not being able to rotate some of these images. 

We began watching an intriguing interview with designer Milton Glaser. As an accomplished creative, he interpreted the difference between a fine artist and a designer. He believed the latter has to put their own interests after the client, unlike the artist who is able to explore their own desires. However, he demonstrated how as a graphic designer he had a moral obligation to do what he believes is right with his work. Therefore, he firmly was against designing packaging for cigarette, as he did not want to be in any way responsible for selling something that will ultimately result in the bad health or even death of a customer. The interview went on to suggest how graphic designers have the ability to grab attention for the client, and therefore he demonstrated how various companies he assisted went on to become very successful. 

This interview was truly inspiring and interesting to listen to.   

(Authors own 2013)
Typography - We then continued our day by looking at various versions of typography.
The alphabet is essentially a code, and therefore there are unusual ways of presenting this code overtly or obscurely. 

By creating a string of mark-making experiments, I found ways of changing the alphabet in new  and unique ways. I then extended a particular idea throughout the whole alphabet to create a new font type and design. I did this using masking tape, folded in a specific manner -to create a 3d/textured effect.

(Authors own 2013)
Here I demonstrated some further experimentation and development of the letter mark-making. I then went onto photocopy my creation/alphabet with masking tape, and then went over the photocopies in different pens and styles, patterns and designs! I love the way they have all come and out. These could be further developed into fashion clothing designs or architectural structural designs.

(Authors own 2013)

(Authors own 2013)

(Authors own 2013)

(Authors own 2013)
I then looked at ways of utilising pre-determined fonts in creative ways. I was given a font layout, and then tried to create a graphic image with words presenting my future. This was interesting as it allows me to realise the versatility of a simple font by using it in different sizes, orientations and colours.

Overall, today was crucial in developing the importance of my awareness of the power of graphic design and typography. I hope to develop these designs and mark-makings further.


1 comment:

  1. Your typography that was created using masking tape looks really good. The way you have manipulated and folded the masking tape to create each character is very creative and if you were to paint these characters and print them on a separate piece of paper, the texture they would create would be visually interesting. The graphic image with words that present your future also shows that you have a good understanding of typography, as you have clearly considered scale, tracking and kerning!

    ReplyDelete