Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Graphic Design - Day 1

Today we looked at various ways of demonstrating and deconstructing a typical way of viewing the world. By creating interpretation of what is expected, we made important connections to graphic art. We began the morning by creating a series of drawings revolving around the idea of making physical limitations in our artwork. This was to allow us as artists to be able to recreate a unique list of what we observe.
(Authors own 2013)
At first, I decided to complete a very quick sketch/portrait of a friend sitting on my table using my memory and my eyes closed! Most certainly this was not perfect but I feel I captured what I had seen roughly. This was my friend Katie!

(Authors own 2013)
The I confirmed a new sketch with my pen placed in my mouth! This was particularly challenging, but I really enjoyed trying to capture my classmate Milan in an interesting manner. For the third image, I drew with my left hand of another classmate Ian. I feel this image was particularly effective as I had more control despite using my weaker hand! And finally, the worst portrait from memory whilst not taking the pen off the paper. I feel this was a unique way of drawing as it was rough yet effectively got across the point of the image.

(Authors own 2013)

(Authors own 2013)
After we had completed these images, I felt a lot looser and relaxed in my drawing style. We were then instructed to complete a longer 20 mins charcoal A1 drawing of a partners ear. I tried to be more fluid in my drawing style. In these images of my drawing you can see that I have tried defining the lights and darks of Katie's ear!

(Authors own 2013) 
(Authors own 2013) 
(Authors own 2013)
(Authors own 2013)

(Authors own 2013)

(Authors own 2013)
After completing the drawing tasks, we looked at a deconstructed version of 'Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech'. Read aloud by various socio-political key figures, such as Maya Angelou and Dalai Lama, the speech was transferred from the past to present in it's context and meaning. Looking at this speech deconstruction from 'Radio 4', I began understanding the importance of the timeless quality in all things. 

As we ended the day, I began a magazine collage to create a fun face. I had no limit actions whatsoever, therefore, I used and added everything I thought would match well with the image. It used to be an image of 'Lee Evans' -but was then transformed into something I cannot name! I began to create an image that represented myself, yet recycled the personalities of strangers. I found this a very interesting experience, as what I has learnt throughout the day became entwined in my final piece. 








To add emphasis to the fact the uniform image on the previous page has been made up of separate parts, I used a viewfinder to create a detailed sectional painting. This presented how similar tones had been collected to make one image, much like one would use various paints. However, this presents the dis-similarities and changes of people and their features!

Today I feel I accomplished a great deal regarding myself, how people perceive me, the similarities and differences of individual people. I now know how to look at artwork and complete my own graphic pieces. I will try to carry these new skills through with me of new projects, creating a dynamic of new versatility!


No comments:

Post a Comment